Just like your laptop, tablet or smartphone, a garage door can be connected to Wi-Fi. The difference is that instead of connecting to the internet wirelessly through a router and modem, the door opener connects directly to your internet provider’s network via an antenna attached to it. This allows you to control your garage door from anywhere in the world with an internet connection—and also enables some cool features like MyQ Smart Alerts.
Step 1: Find the antenna on your garage door opener.
The first step is to locate and identify the antenna. To do this, you’ll need to open up your garage door opener and look for a small black box with two antennas on it: one pointing up, and one pointing down. The antenna that’s pointing down is what we’re looking for here, so make a note of where it is located inside the device or write down its location so that you can find it again later in case you need to refer back to it when setting up Wi-Fi on your garage door opener.
Step 2: Connect the antenna to the garage door opener.
- Connect the antenna to the garage door opener. Connect the antenna to your garage door opener in the same way that you would connect a remote. It should be mounted on the wall near your door so that it can be easily used by a person standing outside of the car when programming your Wi-Fi network.
Step 3: Download the MyQ app.
Downloading the MyQ app is another step you want to take if you want to monitor your garage door remotely. You can find it on either the Apple App Store or Google Play, depending on what kind of phone you have. Once again, you’ll need to create an account and log in with your username and password.
Step 4: Register for a MyQ account.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Create a free account on the MyQ website.
- Use a unique email address that only you have access to.
- Choose a strong password and don’t forget it! Make sure you are using a secure connection to the internet, otherwise hackers could steal your information or get into your garage door system without your knowledge.
Step 5: Add a new device (garage door opener).
- Add a new device (garage door opener).
Once you have your Wi-Fi password and serial number, simply enter them into the app. Press “Done” once you’re done.
Step 6: Test it out.
Test it out by pressing the button on the garage door opener, your phone, and/or computer.
You can make your garage door Wi-Fi with these simple steps
To make your garage door Wi-Fi, you’ll need to follow the steps above in order.
- Find the antenna on your garage door opener and connect it to the garage door opener with an Ethernet cable.
- Download the myq app on your smartphone or tablet and register for a myq account by entering in some information like your name, email address and password (you will have to create this one as well if you’ve never used any other accounts).
- Open up the app and sign into it using your new login information from step 2 above! That’s all there is to making a Wi-Fi connected garage door opener!
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to control your garage door remotely. You can also use the MyQ app to monitor and manage your garage door from anywhere in the world!
Leave a Reply